6.21.2009

Mommatudes Karrie Gets Us ALL Motivated!


We had so much fun on our first show and Leah and I are overwhelmed by how supportive you have all been! Thank you!

If you missed the show you can always listen to our archived shows HERE.

Our special guest on Friday was Karrie, otherwise known as @knitpurlgurl on twitter. Her blog Mommatudes is a must read for me each and every day. You think Bantering Blonde is funny? This girl is off the hook! She also blogs at Knit Purl Gurl and ya'll should check out what she did with yarn yesterday!

Karrie had seen me and Leah on Chicks Keep Chatting and was motivated to make a change. She vlogged this experience and then instead of waiting until the next day to start her exercise program she just said, "what the heck" and jumped right in! To see this video click HERE! I asked her to come on the show because her story is EXACTLY what Leah and I are striving to do. Uplift women, empower them, and motivate them to take control and make positive changes in their lives.


I asked Karrie to tell us a little more about her blogging and vlogging life and to let us know how things have been going on her journey...


I’ve been blogging for about 1 ½ years. My philosophy is pretty simple – blog what you know and be true to yourself. If you try to mimic another blogger or write your blog in a format that is inconsistent with your personality, your blog will likely fail and you’ll be frustrated in the process. Basically, in real life I’m a pretty funny person (and modest, apparently). I like to see the humor in situations if at all possible. So I try to blog about the things that affect me personally in a manner consistent with my personality.

I just recently got into vlogging after I joined MomTV.com. Watching other moms’ vlog posts and participating in the live streaming web shows really sparked an interest in me. The social cues we normally pick up on in face to face conversations are often lost in written blog posts. So I was really excited about being able to convey my thoughts as though my readers and I were having a conversation.

Vlogging is a great way to make a personal connection with your readers. I’m an extremely expressive person in real life. (That’s code for drama queen.) And reading what I’ve typed doesn’t always convey the eyerolls, sighs, and expressions I meant for it to. When my readers can see me, they know I’m being authentic.

Simply, my basic philosophy is to have a concept in mind – but to go unscripted. Let it take you in the direction it wants to. It will be real, original, and more people will relate to it.



So since your decision to make changes do you see or feel a difference in anything?

Since my decision to make healthy changes, I’ve noticed that I have a more positive attitude. – the pity parties have ended. I feel like for the first time in a long time, I can control my destiny, or at least my health. When I first lost weight (after my first baby 13 years ago), I was rigid and ultra-disciplined. I never worked through the issues which caused me to hang onto the weight in the first place. I wasn’t willing to accept that the weight stayed on for any reason other than having a baby. This time around, I realize that it’s a life change. I know that if I am to be successful, I must work through the reasons I eat, or rather overeat. I realize that I am human and that occasionally I am going to eat BBQ ribs and potato salad. And I realize that I must incorporate these occasional splurges into my life. What’s important is what I do the other 29 days of the month.

How does that make you feel?

I feel like it’s a major breakthrough for me. Before, if I “fell off the wagon,” I threw in the towel and just gave up completely. I felt like I had failed and couldn’t possibly recover from the failure. But today, I know that the only failure is not striking a good balance between healthy eating, exercise, and occasional splurges.

What is your advice to people who know they should do something but don't know what or where to start?

Jump in! Waiting for tomorrow or next week or next year will become a bad habit unto itself. Start researching healthy eating and exercise programs and then give them a whirl. You may have to try on a few different programs until you find the programs best suited for you. Don’t do anything you can’t see yourself doing 5 years from now. That means no fad diets! And most importantly – you’re human! Forgive yourself when you have had a bad day and move on!

Don’t forget to reach out for support and accept help when offered.




And my favorite bit of advice from this hot Mommatudes girl?

Love yourself no matter what. But love yourself enough to improve your quality of life. You’ll be glad you did.


Thank you to Karrie for making our first show so much fun and for showing us all that we can do it!

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with so much that Karrie said. I've failed so many times at trying to lose weight but this time is different because I'm not only trying to drop pounds....but I want to be fit and active.

    And I'm putting a support system in place through my blog and twitter that is helping me so much!

    I think I need to try this Vlogging thing.

    Connie @ Fat2HotMommy

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Design By Sour Apple Studio © All Rights Reserved.